Sunday, September 30, 2007

Sunday Morning At Church

It was the last day of September. A great sunny day with a cool wind blowing every which way. Spider man in one hand and the hulk in the other. I don't usually allow toys but he made an agreement not to have sound affects accompany these small but mighty figures. We snuggled in as usual in the third from last row. Minutes later an older gentleman drifted in. We quickly scooted to give him a welcoming space. It was all peaceful and good. My boy was well behaved today. He tapped me on my arm and pointed to the old man who was sniffling and blowing his nose into a tissue. He said, "Barb, the man needs help." I comforted him with a hug and said that he was fine and that he was just praying. We refocused and followed along in our book for a while It was time to take the long walk to the alter for communion. As usual I bent over to ask him if he was going to accompany me as he ordinarily does. He looked up at me with tears welling up in his eyes. He was crying. The man next to him had suddenly disappeared. He said he was sad because the man was gone and he wanted to help him. We sat and held each other until his tears dried. Communion was over and it was time to go. I learned a lot at church today.

1 comment:

Sharon Pickering said...

He has such a good heart. It What a sweet boy.